Friday, October 26, 2012

The Story of Jonah: God Saves!

1 Then Jonah prayed to the Lord his God from inside the fish: 2 "In my great trouble I cried to the Lord and He answered me; from the depths of death I called, and Lord, You heard me! . . . 7 "When I had lost all hope, I turned my thoughts once more to the Lord. And my earnest prayer went to you in Your holy Temple. . . . 9 "I will never worship anyone but You! For how can I thank you enough for all You have done? I will surely fulfill my promises. For my deliverance (salvation, victory, real help) comes from the Lord alone." 10 And the Lord ordered the fish to spit up Jonah on the beach, and it did. Jonah 2:1-2, 7, 8-10 (The Living Bible), see also Psalm 3:8; Isaiah 12:2; Revelation 7:10.

God told the Prophet Jonah to take the message of His love, grace, and forgiveness to some sinful people, the Assyrians, and give the Assyrians an opportunity to repent. The Assyrians were a great but evil and cruel nation and Israel’s enemies (Jonah 1:1-2).  However, when Jonah heard God tell him to go tell the Assyrians to turn from their sins and worship God (repentance), Jonah disobeyed God and went in the opposite direction (Jonah 1:3). Eventually, Jonah’s disobedience led him into the stomach of a great fish – buried alive (Jonah 1:17; see also Hebrews 12:6). But inside the depths of sadness, Jonah came to his sense and called upon God for help. Even from inside the fish, God heard Jonah's prayer (Jonah 2).

Like Jonah, we can call-out to God for help from anyplace, anywhere, and anytime and God will hear us (Psalm 139:7-12; Jeremiah 23:23-24). No sin or disobedience can separate us from God’s rescue, if we genuinely turn away from sin and turn to Him for help (see also Luke 15:11-24). Calling out to God in prayer is God’s life line to His people. William Law said, "He who has learned to pray, has learned the greatest secret of a holy and happy life."

The story of Jonah reveals that God’s love and compassion is for ALL people – Jews and non-Jews, religious and non-religious, saint and sinner.  The living God is willing to help and save anyone who will repent, turn from their sins, and call upon Him in genuine trust and belief. So, commit daily and fully to God with all your heart, mind, and soul. A wholehearted commitment, allegiance and devotion to God create in you a solid foundation of God’s full and never ending mercy, grace, and love.

 Reference: 
Life Application Study Bible. Tyndale House Publishers, 2005.
NLT Study Bible. Tyndale House Publishers, 2008.
Wiersbe, Warren W. Bible Exposition Commentary.  Victor Books, 1989.


No comments:

Post a Comment

God bless you! You are loved by God (Romans 5:5).